A MAN who stabbed a woman in the chest after she refused to have sex with him has been convicted.

Risman Naitsoka, the accused, had gone on trial claiming that his victim 'stabbed herself.'

However, after a day of deliberations at Oxford Crown Court a jury today found the 39-year-old of Grove Street, Wantage, guilty of one count of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

During the case - which began last Monday - jurors were told that that the incident of violence took place on Tuesday, November 5, last year at an address in Wantage.

READ ALSO: Police praise victims after 'dangerous' sex offender is jailed for Headington crime spree.

Naitsoka had been in a 'romantic relationship' with his victim which was described in court as 'tempestuous.'

An order had previously been imposed banning contact between the two.

Despite this order they met up that day and Naitsoka ended up going to her home in Wantage.

Julian Lynch, prosecuting, said that at the house it became apparent that Naitsoka had been drinking alcohol.

While at her home, Naitsoka propositioned the woman for sex, jurors were told, which she declined.

Mr Lynch said: "At that stage [he] begins to shout at her, calls her names, accusing her of sleeping with other men."

The woman then asked Naitsoka to leave and it was after this that the knife attack took place.

The jury was told that Naitsoka produced a knife belonging to the woman and from the kitchen, before stabbing her in the top left side of her chest.

The blow was delivered with such force so that the knife 'snaps off', prosecutors said, leaving the blade stuck inside the woman.

READ ALSO: Evictions crisis is looming in Oxford, warns tenants' union.

It was then that Naitsoka ran off, and emergency services were later contacted.

Denying all wrong-doing Naitsoka went on to claim that the woman 'stabbed herself.'

Jurors heard a transcript of what Naitsoka said when he called the emergency services to report the incident at 3.33pm that day.

He told operators 'she took a knife and she stabbed herself.'

Naitsoka went on to say that the woman would 'frame it on me.'

Speaking to police about the incident he said that when he left and went to call 999 he saw somebody walking a dog, who said he looked 'shaken.' Naitsoka said he replied: "It's because my girlfriend has just stabbed herself, she is trying to blame it on me."

After the verdict had been given presiding Judge Maria Lamb agreed to adjourn the case and to pass her sentence next month.

She ordered a pre-sentence report to be prepared which she said would assess Naitsoka's level of 'dangerousness.'

His defence team also said they would seek a psychiatric report on Naitsoka.

The case was adjourned and the final sentencing hearing will take place at the same court on September 22.

Naitsoka was remanded in custody to await that hearing.