A MAN stabbed a woman and left the knife stuck in her chest after she refused to have sex with him, a court has heard today.

Jurors were told that the blow was delivered with such force that the knife split in half with the blade left lodged inside her body.

Risman Naitsoka, the accused, denies all wrongdoing and claimed that his alleged victim 'stabbed herself.'

Read also: St Giles Fair is called off to prevent spread of coronavirus

The 39-year-old of Grove Street, Wantage, is accused of one count of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

His trial got under way at Oxford Crown Court today.

Outlining the case to the jury, prosecutor Julian Lynch said the incident took place on Tuesday, November 5, last year at an address in Wantage.

Naitsoka had been in a 'romantic relationship' with the woman which was described in court as 'tempestuous.'

An order had previously been imposed banning contact between the two.

Read also: Transgender row teacher called Muhammad a false prophet

Despite this order, prosecutors said, they met up that day and he ended up going to her home in Wantage.

Mr Lynch said that at the house it became apparent that Naitsoka had been drinking alcohol.

While at her home, Naitsoka propositioned the woman for sex, jurors were told, which she declined.

Mr Lynch said: "At that stage [he] begins to shout at her, calls her names, accusing her of sleeping with other men."

The woman then asked Naitsoka to leave, prosecutors claim, and it was after this that the alleged stabbing took place.

The jury was told that Naitsoka produced a knife belonging to the woman and from the kitchen, before stabbing her in the top left side of her chest.

Read also: Police and air ambulance crews swarm barn in farmer's field

The blow, prosecutors said, was delivered with enough force so that the knife 'snaps off', leaving the blade stuck inside the woman.

It was then, the court heard, that Naitsoka ran off, and emergency services were later contacted.

Mr Lynch told jurors it was 'miraculous' that the blow avoided striking any vital organs.

Describing the moment of the alleged attack from the witness box the woman said the first thing she felt was 'sharpness' and then Naitsoka 'fought' with her.

She said: "I looked at myself, I saw blood everywhere and the blade was there.

"I didn't feel it at that moment so I took it out, I just dragged it out. I think he used a lot of force because the other part is on the other side of the room."

Jurors also heard that Naitsoka - who denies the charge - claims that the woman 'stabbed herself.'

The trial continues.