A SPREADING house blaze was stopped by a neighbour's quick action.

Firefighters were called on Tuesday afternoon to reports of a kitchen fire in Oxford. Crews from Slade Park and Rewley Road Fire Stations found the source was a chip pan accidentally left on when the occupants went out.

ALSO READ: Plane makes emergency landing in field after engine fails mid-flight

It had already engulfed the wall next to the cooker but was put out quickly.

Emergency services were alerted when a neighbour spotted smoke and called 999.

The fire service warned there had been a growing number of such incidents recently and urged people be careful in the kitchen.