A MAN who rampaged through an Oxford betting shop, obliterating machines and televisions, because he 'lost his temper' has been spared jail.

During gambling addict Iphill Davy's wanton vandalism in front of shocked staff he caused more than £10,000 worth of damage.

A sentencing judge called the outburst a ''disgrace' and a 'terrifying' experience for the staff at the Betfred in Cowley.

READ ALSO: Video shows man trashing Cowley Betfred shop.

The 47-year-old of Liddell Road, Oxford had already pleaded guilty to one count of causing criminal damage and he was sentenced at Oxford Crown Court yesterday.

Outlining the case prosecutors said Davy was at the betting shop on Upper Barr, Oxford on February 1 this year.

He placed a bet on one of the machines which he lost, and it was this that led him to 'completely lose his temper.'

Davy picked up a stool and began smashing the machines with it, repeating the destruction 'systematically' around the shop.

The court heard that during the outburst Davy was drunk and rude to staff.

In all he damaged three gaming machines, three football betting machines and eight televisions.

Prosecutors said the total damage was originally estimated at some £40,000 but that receipts went on to show the cost to be £10,437.58.

READ ALSO: Oxford coronavirus cases spike 'stark reminder' of danger.

The following day Davy handed himself in to police and confessed to what he had done.

A Facebook video later emerged showing the destruction he had wrought upon the shop during the incident.

In mitigation Rhianna Fricker, defending, said that the outburst was 'an isolated incident.'

She said her client had struggled with a gambling addiction for the last 15 years and that this had increased in recent years.

In the run up to the offence, she said, Davy was 'completely consumed by his addiction' and he had run up a gambling debt totalling £25,000.

Ms Fricker said that her client, a public parks cleaner for the council, was trying to get his life back on track.

Presiding Judge Maria Lamb called the incident 'a very frightening episode' for those present and said his behaviour that day was a 'disgrace.'

Sentencing, she said: "Lots of people have problem with their addictions, they don't behave in the way that you behaved on February 1.

"Thoroughly obnoxious in the way that you were in that shop and causing a great deal of damage, and you come now asking for sympathy.

"You are unable to control your temper when things don't go your way.

"That is what your [previous criminal] record displays."

She said that the crime merited a prison sentence, albeit once that could be suspended.

Davy was jailed for eight months, suspended for 18 months.

He must also complete 200 hours of unpaid work and 15 rehabilitation activity requirement days.

He was not ordered to pay back any compensation but he must pay a statutory victim surcharge.