A THUG who launched a savage attack on his partner in an Oxford guest house has been jailed.

Michael Sloane bit, strangled and punched the woman, leaving her with a string of injuries.

The attack was only stopped after another guest house resident heard the violence and burst into the room.

The 44-year-old of Botley Road, Oxford later claimed he could remember very little of the violent outburst.

READ ALSO: Woman attacked Oxford hospital staff during drunk visit to A&E.

Sloane had already admitted one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

He was sentenced for that offence at Oxford Crown Court today.

Outlining the case prosecutor Cathy Olliver said the violence took place on June 26 this year.

Sloane and his partner had booked to stay for two nights at the Athena Guest House, Cowley Road, Oxford.

Sloane had known the woman - who is some 20 years his junior - for about one year, having met at rehab for drugs.

On the day of the attack Sloane had been 'horrible to her' and persistently demanded money for cigarettes.

After a further row the woman returned to the guest house alone and fell asleep.

She awoke at 10pm to Sloane telling her he was going to kill himself, before he went on to start shouting at her.

He began arguing with her about money and it was shortly after that he erupted in an explosion of violent rage.

READ ALSO: English wine sales rise in lockdown: Oxfordshire vineyards delighted.

During the ensuing onslaught he pinned the woman to the bed by her neck.

He went on to strangle her and punch her to the head.

The woman screamed at him and begged him to stop as he dragged her by her hair around the room and towards a window.

She later said she felt Sloane was going to push her out of the window.

It was then that a neighbour, hearing the violence, rushed in to the room.

The police were called and Sloane was arrested.

Among her injuries was a bite mark to her hand and a cut to her head.

Prosecutors said that before the incident of violence their relationship had been 'abusive.'

Sloane was described as being 'aggressive' and calling his victim cruel names.

He had also previously threatened to 'throw acid in her face.'

In mitigation Emily Culverhouse, Defending, said that her client was 'extremely remorseful' for his behaviour.

She added that Sloane had long-standing substance misuse problems.

Sentencing, Judge Ian Pringle QC called the attack 'appalling.'

He jailed Sloane for 20 months and made a restraining order.