A MAN who repeatedly threatened to 'stab someone' while holding a kitchen knife at the home he shared with his mother has been jailed.

Keane Neal made the explosive outburst while on the phone to police from his bed, and to whom he claimed the threats had come from a non-existent brother who he called David.

The 21-year-old of Landseer Walk, Abingdon, had already admitted one count of affray and another count of breaching a suspended sentence order.

He appeared to be sentenced at Oxford Crown Court today.

READ ALSO: £6m funding for new bridge over the River Thames in Oxford agreed.

Outlining the case prosecutor Cathy Olliver said Neal had been living with his mother and her friend at the time of the offence.

At about 11.30am on the morning of April 24 they heard 'lots of banging' coming from elsewhere inside the house.

The noises led to Neal, where he was sat on his bed and 'getting very angry', saying 'words to the effect of "someone is getting stabbed today, someone is going to get it."'

Neal had a kitchen knife in his hand and was 'moving it around,' while he was also on the phone.

Prosecutors said that he was making 'an illogical statement' and claiming that it was in fact his brother - a fictional man called David - who was making the threats to stab someone.

The court heard that Neal doesn't have a brother and he went on to say 'everyone needs to leave, I am going to stab someone.'

Neal went on to admit one count of affray and of being in breach of a previously imposed suspended sentence for separate offences.

It was also revealed at the sentencing hearing that Neal has a number of previous convictions including for assault occasioning actual bodily harm, being drunk and disorderly, and criminal damage.

In June he was handed a jail term of 16 months, suspended for a period of two years, for two counts of aggravated vehicle taking.

READ AGAIN: Abingdon motorbike thieves Lewis and Neal sentenced.

In mitigation defence barrister Peter Du Feu said that his client suffered from 'emotional control' problems and problems with his mental health and his behaviour.

He added that Neal was intoxicated during the incident and added that he struggles to control himself after having a drink and that he 'lashes out.'

Sentencing, Judge Maria Lamb said: "It is a pity that you did what you did on April 24 because you were going well following that sentence on June 6.

"You have a record; an unenviable record, for offences of violence."

Neal was jailed for four months for the single count of affray and the previously imposed suspended sentence was activated as 10 months in prison.

Those sentences were ordered to run consecutively, which totals 14 months in prison.

He must also pay a statutory victim surcharge.