A BIN lorry caught fire last week when old batteries were thrown away.

The truck had just collected recycling waste from Great Western Park estate in Didcot when it burst into flames.

Read more: kitchen ruined after food left to cook burst into flames

One resident had tossed away some old batteries into their recycling bin, probably without knowing the damage it could cause.

Now South Oxfordshire District Council have urged residents to wrap up old batteries in a clear plastic bag and put them on top of the bin instead, in efforts 'to staff safe'.