A DRAMATIC house fire in Abingdon yesterday was started when food was left to cook in the kitchen.

Two fire crews from Abingdon Fire Station raced to the scene in the evening to tackle the blaze at the home, which had no fire alrams installed.

Read more: weather forecast says Oxford is set to be hotter than Greece this weekend 

Doors around the house had also been left open, so the fire had spread to different rooms.

Oxford Mail:

Firefighters in breathing equipment tackled the fire with hose reels and treated casulaties at the scene before the arrival of paramedics. One of the occupants was taken to hospital.

Sharing pictures of the smokey kitchen with burnt ceilings and cupboards, Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue service explained on Facebook: “Unattended cooking is one of the biggest causes of fire in the home. Working and tested smoke alarms will save your life.”