THREE teenagers caught up in a bout of 'mindless football violence' during an Oxford United match have been ordered to carry out unpaid work.

In CCTV footage played to a court of the frenzy nearly 20 football fans were seen to charge towards rival supporters in a bar outside the Vue cinema, opposite the Kassam Stadium.

Matthew Simms, 18, of Pegasus Road, Oxford, Jamal Wilson-Perry, 20, of Farm Close, Oxford, and Joseph Gaul, 18, of Sandy Lane, Oxford, had all already admitted one count of affray in relation to the incident.

READ ALSO: Coronavirus updates for Oxfordshire.

Oxford Crown Court heard at their sentencing hearing on Thursday how the violence took place on March 16 last year.

Outlining the case prosecutor Kellie Enever said the affray took place while Oxford United hosted Bradford City at the Kassam stadium.

During the first half a group of City fans had gone to J's Sports Bar at the adjacent Ozone leisure park, which is near to the Vue cinema.

Meanwhile, a separate group of United fans were already there, but were later asked to leave the bar.

CCTV footage of what unfolded appeared to show families heading up towards the nearby Vue cinema as a group of about 19 United fans amassed near the bar.

READ ALSO: Coronavirus: These are all the shops that have CLOSED at Bicester Village.

They were then seen to charge at the entrance to the bar, while a smaller number of City fans stood at the doorway as a mass brawl quickly erupted.

During the brief explosion of violence punches were seen to be thrown and one City fan picked up a bar stool in the scuffle.

The door to the bar was then sealed shut and the United fans scurried out of the leisure centre.

Simms, Wilson-Perry and Gaul were all later arrested in connection with the incident and eventually pleaded guilty to the single count of affray.

READ ALSO: All John Lewis stores to close from Monday.

Prosecutors said that Wilson-Perry was the 'leader' involved in the violence and that there had been 'specific targetting' of the City fans.

In mitigation at their sentencing hearing the court heard that Simms had since 'turned over a new leaf' and stopped drinking alcohol.

Defence barristers also said that all three men had pleaded guilty and admitted the offence, and therefore deserved credit for their pleas.

Sentencing, Judge Ian Pringle QC called the incident an episode of 'mindless football violence.'

He said: "Football is a great game. I enjoy watching it but one of the things that puts people off is when [people] behave like that around the ground.

"If you really cared for football you would not involve yourself in that behaviour at all."

All three were handed community orders for the single count of affray.

Simms was ordered to complete 180 hours of unpaid work, Wilson-Perry 150 hours and Gaul 120 hours.

They must all also pay a statutory victim surcharge.