A MAN who has defied the odds after suffering life-changing brain injuries in a hit-and-run three years ago is back studying and says he is determined to rebuild his life.

Cowley student Steven Wanna was left for dead after being struck by a car as he was walking along a road towards Oxford in the early hours of his birthday on February 14, 2017.

ALSO READ: Motorcyclist dies after crashing into metal barrier

The 23-year-old was found by his friends lying unconscious in the middle of the A4074 between the Golden Balls and Berinsfield roundabouts, near Nuneham Courtenay.

The driver did not stop to get help and has never been caught.

Oxford Mail:

Mr Wanna, who cannot remember the crash, is focused on moving on with his life as he continues to recover from a catalogue of horrific injuries which he was not initially expected to survive.

He said: "I'm going to college part time now and want to get a degree in music. Soon I want to be back in the city with my mum and friends seven days a week."

Oxford Mail:

After being kept in a coma for three months to allow his body to heal, the former Abingdon and Witney college student has been slowly recovering from major injuries.

These included a fractured skull, a brain haemorrhage, a fractured eye socket and nose, as well as his face being split open.

ALSO READ: Beloved teacher killed in car crash

He also suffered a fractured hip, a broken left leg and broken toes on his right foot in the Valentine’s Day hit and run.

Oxford Mail:

Steven Wanna with his mother Sandy Mar in 2019. Picture: Ed Nix

Three years on, he is continuing to make progress at a specialist facility in Northamptonshire, where he spends part of his week, and is able to walk limited distances without crutches.

He has also now returned to studying, starting an English course in September at City of Oxford College, which he attends one day a week.

He celebrated his 23rd birthday on Friday surrounded by family and friends at Sundaes Gelato on Cowley Road.

ALSO READ: Coronavirus isolation pods set up at hospitals

The police investigation into the hit and run was officially shelved last year by Thames Valley Police unless new information comes to light. Investigating officer PC Victoria Jones, of the Serious Collision investigation unit, said: “Following a thorough investigation and a number of appeals for information, the case has been filed pending any new information coming to light.

"No arrests took place in connection with the incident.

"If anyone does have any information about what happened to Steven, please get in contact with police.”

Mr Wanna's mother Sandy Mar, who has supported him throughout his recovery, said: "We are still hoping the person responsible will do the right thing' and come forward."