THE boss of an engineering firm accused of a health and safety failing that injured a man claimed a five-tonne saw fell due to a 'freak gust of wind.'

One of the two companies on trial - the head of G J Harris Engineering Services - also told jurors that he nearly walked away from the job that day because of other failings.

Stoneworld Oxfordshire and G J Harris Engineering Services both deny one count of a failure to discharge a duty in relation to health and safety regulations.

Prosecutors at Oxford Crown Court claim that this failure led to one Stoneworld employee being injured by a toppling Pellegrini wire cut saw.

READ AGAIN: A report from the opening of the case earlier this week.

The jury have already heard from prosecutors that on November 9 2016, while the machinery was being installed, Andrew Caffyn was walking by on his lunch break.

As he did so and while contractor Gerald Harris worked on the large equipment, the jury was told, it began to topple, before striking Mr Caffyn.

Today, Gerald Harris, who owns the engineering firm, gave his version of events and denied any wrong-doing.

Asked why the machine came to fall he said: "I can only put it down to a freak gust of wind."

He went on to say that he didn't do anything that may have caused the machine to fall.

He also denied using a pry-bar or crowbar on the machine before the incident to move the equipment, as it has already been claimed.

Recalling the eventual collapse he said: "It started to shudder, I shouted out, it started shaking."

He said that he then went on to check on the Stoneworld employee who had been struck before emergency services arrived.

READ AGAIN: An eye-witness recalls the moments before five-tonne saw collapsed.

Mr Harris also said he had spoken to Mr Caffyn when he saw him pass some time before the incident and had warned him that he should not be in the area.

Speaking of the build-up to the collapse he told jurors that he almost quit the job and walked away that day.

He explained that equipment he had wanted had not been provided before initially transporting the machinery at a site elsewhere.

He said: "I was in two minds, whether to stay or go to be perfectly honest with you.

"But I thought seeing as I am there I may as well stay."

Both firms deny the single charge and the trial continues.