A MAN who repeatedly stabbed a sofa during an 'out of control' rage at his partner before smashing a police telephone has been jailed.

Steffan Wood, 31, of Normandy Crescent, Oxford, had already admitted two counts of causing criminal damage.

Outlining the case at his sentencing hearing at Oxford Crown Court on Tuesday prosecutor Robert Lindsey said that the incident took place on December 21 last year.

Wood was staying at his then partner’s address in Greater Leys when he ‘challenged her’ about her use of a mobile phone, before he began drinking heavily.

READ ALSO: Driver blames BMW North Oxford garage for two near accidents.

After clearing a whole bottle of rum Wood threatened the woman before he ‘stabbed a sofa’ at least two times, causing a long slash mark.

The blade, a kitchen knife, was described as eight inches in length.

Wood continued to be verbally aggressive during the day towards the woman and the police were eventually called.

On arrival officers had to draw their Tasers after reports that he had a knife in the house.

He was arrested and taken to Abingdon police station, where the second incident of causing criminal damage took place.

While inside cell 19 at the police station he damaged a telephone, which the court heard would cost £57.99 to replace.

When he was interviewed by officers he answered no comment to all the questions put to him, except when asked about the phone damage, to which he said ‘it’s not fair.’

READ ALSO: Ice cream man loses trader licence for Oxford double yellow parking.

Prosecutors also revealed that Wood has a number of previous convictions, made up of 13 convictions for 26 offences.

Those include previous offences of criminal damage and harassment, and he was also subject to a previously imposed suspended jail term when committing his latest offences.

Wood went on to admit the two offences of causing criminal damage and was sentenced at the crown court this week.

In mitigation at that hearing his defence barrister Peter Du Feu said that his client had been in a relationship with the woman for the last nine years.

He said that she had been ‘endlessly supportive’ to him during that time.

Mr Du Feu went on to say that Wood had previously been struggling with substance misuse problems relating to drugs and alcohol, and that he also suffered from epilepsy.

He added: "He is extremely remorseful, sorry he put his partner of nine years in such a situation."

Sentencing, Judge Maria Lamb said: "I am quite satisfied that your behaviour is unpredictable when you are drunk.

"And this is not the first time that you have been involved in the commission of a criminal offence while drunk and in possession of a weapon.

"You were completely out of control."

For the two counts of criminal damage Wood was jailed for a total of two months.

That was made consecutive to nine months for the earlier suspended sentence, which was activated, totalling 11 months jail.

He must also pay a victim surcharge.