A MAN accused of murdering his wife with a kitchen knife before trying to kill himself left court after finding it too ‘distressing’ to watch footage of police officers coming upon the bloody scene.

Fatos Xheta is currently on trial at Oxford Crown Court accused of killing Safie Xheta at the house they shared at Lytton Road, Oxford on June 17 this year.

It is alleged he stabbed the 35-year-old multiple times in the neck in an attack motivated by ‘sexual jealousy.’

The jury was shown body worn footage yesterday captured by PC Grant Barber, who was the first officer to enter the East Oxford property after emergency services were called to an alleged stabbing at 5am.

From the witness stand he described doing a quick check of the downstairs lounge, then upstairs bathroom and first bedroom before heading towards a closed door.

ALSO READ: Slain wife seen with black eye at work months before killing, jury told

Xheta asked via his defence barrister Mark Butler to be removed from court before the video was played to the jury, the 46-year-old not wanting to see it again after the footage was first shown during the prosecution’s opening of the case.

Judge Ian Pringle QC, who is overseeing the murder trial, said: “I’m not going to force him to watch it again if it causes him distress.”

Oxford Mail:

Oxford Crown Court. Picture by Ed Nix

The video showed PC Barber entering the main bedroom of the couple’s home, where a double bed could be seen with Xheta lying on the right hand side of it with injuries to his neck and a knife near his hand.

Officers could be heard to shout ‘knives away, knives away’ as one PC picked up the knife and moved it off the bed.

PC Barber told the court they later discovered Mrs Xheta’s body on the other side of the bed, initially hidden under a duvet with a ‘major’ wound to her neck, adding: “My first thought was she was dead.”

ALSO READ: Paedophile, 72, jailed for abusing boys

PC Matthew Stansfield, who helped remove the duvet, told the court: “I remember a substantial amount of blood on the left of the female which looked like it had dropped down from the bed to the floor.”

The court also heard from PC Matthew Palmer, a member of Thames Valley Police’s tactical firearms group, who responded to the incident.

He described getting onto the bed and leaning in what he ‘guessed’ was blood, saying: “It was soaking wet and cold.”

Ambulance crews also attended the incident, taking Xheta to the John Radcliffe Hospital.

Senior paramedic Ian Sayler gave evidence about the wound inflicted to Mrs Xheta's neck.

Mr Sayler, who officially pronounced the woman dead, said the incision was deep enough that he could see her trachea and from the amount of blood he had been confident her jugular vein had been severed.

The trial, which is due to last two weeks, continues on Monday.