THE A34 northbound has opened following a closure all morning between Hinksey Hill Interchange and Islip after a man died in an ambulance crash.

ALSO READ: Man dies after ambulance crashed into pedestrian on A34

The section of road on the A34 was closed since 3.45am but has now re-opened from the Hinksey Interchange.

Earlier this morning a driver said they saw a damaged ambulance at the scene of the crash.

South Central Ambulance Service (SCAS) has released a statement saying the ambulance was not travelling under emergency conditions.

Drivers had to take a diversion route signalled by the solid black triangle symbol by leaving the A34 at Hinksey Hill before joining the  Eastern bypass and then London bound on the A40, to join the M40 northbound.


Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service sent vehicles from Kidlington and Oxford for 'scene safety' in order to secure the road closure.

The closure caused lengthy delays on surrounding roads including a queue on the A420 into Oxford stretching back to Cumnor.

Oxford Mail: Traffic at Farmoor at 9.50am. Pic by: Brian WalkerTraffic at Farmoor at 9.50am. Pic by: Brian Walker

Highways England had a step-by-step guide on the diversion route, but traffic was building with delays of up to two hours.

Traffic is still heavy as it begins to return back to normal.

Thames Valley Police also tweeted an alert this morning about the incident.

There was also another accident at the Hinksey Hill interchange within the queues.

ALSO READ: Cowley Road murder trial is postponed until April

A regular commuter to Oxford who was stuck on the A420 said: "It's unbelievable - I've driven into Oxford on the A420 every day for years and this is the worst I've ever seen.

"I'm going to be stuck here for an hour or more, it's such a waste of time.

"It goes to show how inadequate the roads around Oxford are - one crash and everything else grinds to a halt."

Another commuter said the roads were 'carnage'.

ALSO READ: Queuing traffic on A34 due to crash

Dougie Beecher said: "It took me about two hours to get to Witney from the Hinksey Hill interchange via Wooton and Cumnor. It’s carnage out there. Queues are just merging into one vast queue."

Other motorists have taken to Twitter.

There was also a collision on the A420 Northbound approach to Botley Interchange.

A reader said: "I'm going to be late to work because there has been an accident on the A420 just outside Oxford. The road is busy there is queues of traffic that stretch for miles."

Oxford Mail: Pic: Google Traffic FeedPic: Google Traffic Feed

A police car was seen trying to weave through the traffic that is at a standstill on the A420 northbound.

Oxford Mail: Police car weaving through cars on A420Police car weaving through cars on A420