A KILLER who stabbed a 16-year-old to death in Oxford appears to have got away with murder, after police gave up on the investigation.

'Insufficient evidence' has led to Thames Valley Police dropping their murder investigation into the death of Harun Jama, from Birmingham, unless new evidence comes to light.

The young teenager was stabbed in Friars Wharf next to the River Thames, shortly before 8pm on January 3, 2018.

READ AGAIN: Mum ‘prays every day’ that son’s killer will be found 

READ AGAIN: Police still looking for answers one year after teen’s murder

Senior investigating officer, Detective Superintendent Andy Howard of the Thames Valley Police Major Crime Unit, said: "This has been an extremely long and complex investigation into the death of a young man, who was stabbed in Oxford.

"Our officers have been committed to this investigation ever since the incident occurred more than 19 months ago.

"We have pursued a large number of lines of enquiry in order to establish the true events that led to Harun's death and to bring whoever was responsible for Harun's murder to justice.

"However, following consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service, the difficult decision has been made that there is currently insufficient evidence to charge anyone in connection with Harun's killing.

"I understand how difficult this will be for Harun's family, who have been incredibly supportive throughout this entire harrowing process.

ALSO READ: Bail extended for man arrested on suspicion of teen’s murder

"I would like to thank them for their bravery, dignity and resilience.

"At this time there are no active lines of enquiry and the investigation will now be subject to periodic review.

"Should new information come to light then this will be assessed and investigated accordingly."

Several arrests had been made in connection with the investigation, but there was no sufficient evidence that any of them were involved. Most recently a 34-year-old man was arrested in Liverpool on September 7, but he has since been released without charge.

A file will now be prepared for the coroner.

DS Andy Howard said: "It will now be for the coroner to decide the cause of Harun's death.

"If you have any information which you think could be relevant, even after all this time, and you haven't yet spoken to police, please call us on 101."

Last year, Harun's mother described him as being a typical 16-year-old boy. She said he was close with her and his siblings and enjoyed playing football and going on the Playstation with friends. A JustGiving page set up in his memory described Harun as an 'angel' and a 'kind, respectful and humble teenager who was loved amongst the whole community'. One person who witnessed the aftermath of the stabbing told the Oxford Mail he saw a group a runners, fighting to save the teenager's life by giving him CPR. Despite their efforts, Harun later died in hospital.