AN OXFORD city councillor has praised the fire service after 35 firefighters were scrambled to a city tower block today.

But ward councillor for Blackbird Leys, Linda Smith, warned that what turned out to be a kitchen fire was an 'unwelcome reminder' of the need to be vigilant.

The deputy leader for Oxford City Council was speaking after a massive team of firefighters were deployed to the Evenlode tower block in Blackbird Leys.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service has now revealed the cause of the alarm was an unattended pan left on a hob.

Speaking after the incident had been brought under control Linda Smith said the city's council blocks were 'some of the safest in the country.'

Oxford Mail: Linda SmithLinda Smith

She told Oxford Mail: "Thanks to the advanced fire prevention systems including sprinklers which have been retrofitted into all 5 Oxford City Council tower blocks, our high rise buildings including Evenlode Tower are some of the safest high rise blocks in the country.

"None the less, incidents like this provide an unwelcome reminder of the need for us all to be vigilant and take care when cooking.

"I'm thankful that on this occasion no one was hurt, and there is only limited damage to the flat where the incident took place.

"Oxon Fire and Rescue and the local neighbourhood police team did a great job keeping everyone safe and providing reassurance to residents while the incident was dealt with."