A TOTAL of 35 firefighters were called to reports of a smoke alarm sounding at an Oxford tower block this afternoon.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service has now revealed the cause of the alarm was an unattended pan left on a hob.

The large emergency services response - which also included police and paramedics - comes amid the ongoing controversy around the fire service response to the Grenfell Tower fire in London.

Taking to Facebook this afternoon, Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "This afternoon just after 1.45pm fire crews were called to reports of an smoke alarm sounding and a smell of smoke in Evenlode Tower, Blackbird Leys.

Oxford Mail:

"Thames Valley Fire Control Service mobilised a number of resources with six fire engines and two specialist vehicles and thirty five firefighters attending.

Oxford Mail:

"On arrival crews discovered on checking the floors where the alarm could be heard, that a flat was smoke-logged, and immediately forced entry using firefighters in breathing apparatus.

"Fortunately due to the alarm being raised quickly, the cause was found to be a pan with cooking left on and unattended which was quickly extinguished before significant damage was caused.

Oxford Mail:

"This again shows the benefit of the systems installed as part of the refurbishment by Oxford City Council working in conjunction with our fire protection department which worked as intended, minimised the risk to occupants and prevented a significant & serious incident.

Oxford Mail:

"Colleagues from South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust, Thames Valley Police and Oxford City council all attended to support residents and crews."

Thames Valley Police also confirmed that the incident involved a kitchen fire and was attended to by the fire service.

Worried residents in the area had contacted the Oxford Mail after hearing the sound of a fire alarm and seeing the fire engines.

Read also: A round-up of sentencings at Oxford Crown Court this week

One resident living at the nearby Windrush tower - Helen Boyce - told the Oxford Mail that a further three police vans had also rushed to the scene and that roads had been closed.

Another resident told the Oxford Mail he saw a number of fire engines at the block at about 2pm, but he also said he could see people on the fifth and 13th floors of the building.

Local politicians have also commented on the incident as it unfolded via social media.

Parliamentary candidate for Oxford West and Abingdon for the Liberal Democrats Layla Moran shared the article via Twitter and wrote 'Sincerely hope everyone is ok.'

Blackbird Leys councillor and deputy leader of Oxford City Council Linda Smith said Oxford Direct Services were this afternoon completing repairs and the resident would be able to return to their home this evening.

Oxford Mail: