‘FLOATING’ voters are urged to register, even if they do not have a permanent mooring.

Those who live on boats in Oxford can still register to vote, according to Oxford City Council, even if they do not have a permanent mooring and do not stay in the same place for long periods.

Instead, boat dwellers can make a declaration of local connection.

ALSO READ: A34 weekend closures: when and where will the road be closed?

Oxford City Council’s Returning Officer, Anita Bradley, said: “We want to get everyone who is entitled to vote onto the electoral register and that includes those living on the water. It may be that boat dwellers think they aren’t eligible to vote just because they don’t live in a property, but that’s not true. With rivers and the canal flowing through the city there are many residents who live on boats and we don’t want them to miss out. It’s a very straightforward procedure.”

A declaration of local connection is made to the city council’s electoral registration office.

ALSO READ: Latest court results for Oxfordshire

It shows your connection to the area and allows for you to be assigned to a polling district.

It may be the area that you moor in regularly, whether temporary or permanent, your workplace, or a boatyard you visit.

For more information phone 01865 252987 or email elections@oxford.gov.uk