A WOMAN was 'repeatedly stamped' on during an attack as she walked near to Cutteslowe Park, a court heard.

Prosecutors claim that Robert Burden, of Hazel Crescent, Kidlington, repeatedly struck his ex-partner's head with his foot during the onslaught at a road bridge over the A40.

The 39-year-old denies one count of harassment by breaching a restraining order and one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Outlining the case at Oxford Crown Court yesterday prosecutor Robert Lindsey told jurors that Burden had been in a 'turbulent' relationship with the woman between 2010 and 2016.

READ ALSO: Concerns over academies as Bicester teenager awaits a school place.

Jurors were told that before the alleged incident on April 22 he was made subject to a restraining order banning any contact with her save for specific circumstances.

Detailing the alleged attack in April he said that the woman had gone to a shop to buy Rizla cigarette papers and was walking on a road bridge over the A40 near Cutteslowe Park at about 6pm.

Dr Lindsey said: "She was walking over the bridge and felt someone grab her from behind on the back of her hair, tied up in a bun, and bringing her to the ground.

"While on the ground she says there was a male standing above her repeatedly stamping on her head."

He said that the woman raised her arms up to protect herself during the attack and it was not until she had walked away from her aggressor and turned around that she realised it was Burden.

READ ALSO: Check your change for one of these rare 50p coins.

Jurors were told that after the attack a group of men who were nearby intervened and the police were called.

From the witness box the alleged victim recalled what she claimed happened to her that night.

She said: "I was on the floor, I felt a foot on my head. I could not get up, I could hear shouting, muffling.

"I don't know what was said and I could see a foot on my face.

"I think I went into the sort of foetal position, I just could not get up. I could not move."

Asked how many times she was struck in the face with the foot she said: "It felt like it was just constantly on it."

She told jurors that she then got up and was 'shouting and screaming' and added: "I was just trying to walk very quickly, I was very dizzy and dazed.

"I was still screaming for help because he just seemed like he was following me."

She said that she then saw two males who intervened and she left the scene.

READ ALSO: SCALES OF JUSTICE: Latest results from Oxford's courts.

During cross examination with defence barrister Kellie Enever it was put to the alleged victim that she had in fact agreed to meet Burden that day to which she said: "Not that I remember."

It was claimed that Burden owed the woman money and they had been in contact about that debt that day.

It was also put to the woman that on the bridge she 'fell over' and it was that which caused an injury to her head, an assertion she denied.

The trial continues.