A MAN who left a reveller with a severed artery in a pub fight has been spared jail after a court judge said the whole incident was the victim’s fault.

Ryan Davies was handed a suspended jail term at Oxford Crown Court this week for the drunken attack at Witney’s Rocket nightclub.

The 40-year-old of Harvest Way, Witney, was found guilty at an earlier hearing of one count of wounding without intent and another of causing criminal damage.

He was sentenced at the crown court on Thursday.

READ ALSO: Eyewitness recalls Co Op stabbing in Jordan Anderson trial.

Outlining the case prosecutor Matthew Knight said the incident took place at the Corn Street club on the night and into the early hours of October 21 and 22 2017.

He said that both Davies and his victim Ruben Edmunds ‘had been consuming a fair amount of alcohol’ that night and that the victim had been ‘harassing and abusing’ the attacker’s friends.

Davies’s friends were called ‘slags’, the court heard, and in response Davies pushed the victim away from them.

In CCTV footage played to the court Davies is seen to grab his victim by the neck before pushing him through a set of doors.

READ ALSO: GCSE results day 2019: Oxford celebrates 'best results'.

As the victim moves through the doorway his arm is seen to strike a window pane on the door, shattering it, which ultimately led to the severing of an artery.

The wound was described as a 12cm laceration to the arm and the victim needed a blood transfusion as a result of his blood loss.

In a victim personal statement read to the court Mr Edmunds said that he had suffered flashbacks as a result of the incident and that he had since left his job as an aircraft refueller for the RAF as a result of his injury.

In mitigation at the hearing defence barrister Ami Jones said that her client was ‘very remorseful’ for what he had done that night.

READ ALSO: SCORES ON THE DOORS: Latest hygiene results for Oxfordshire.

She said: “[He] went to do what he thought was the right thing, to stand up for the women he was with.

"Unfortunately he went too far and it resulted in a serious injury and he is aware of that.

“There was no intention for him to cause such harm.”

Sentencing, Judge Nigel Daly said: “I accept what I have been told that your victim the complainant was behaving completely inappropriately.

"You can see what happened on the CCTV, you didn't intend to injure him in any way at all.

"You were just pushing him out, he went through the door and in going through the door his elbow went through the window.

“It was his fault the whole thing started to begin with so he is not getting any compensation.”

Davies was handed a 12-month jail term suspended for 12 months and he must carry out 240 hours of unpaid work.

He must also pay compensation to the nightclub of £260 for the damage to the window as well as court costs of £1,000 and a statutory victim surcharge.