IT'S been confirmed that debris from the Didcot Power Station demolition DID fly off and hit cables, causing an explosion which injured bystanders. 

Footage shared with the Oxford Mail shows the moment the debris flies off as the towers collapse. 

It caused a huge power blackout, with 40,000 homes left without power. 

SSEN could not initially confirm the cause, but has tonight told the Mail it was debris. 

Residents have called for answers as to why people were allowed to stand so close to the explosion site, and how debris could have come loose. 

An SSEN spokesman said: “Initial investigations have confirmed that this morning’s power cut was caused by material related to the demolition of Didcot Power Station striking our overhead electricity network.  During the demolition, a large section of debris protection material became detached from one of the cooling towers and made contact with our 33kV overhead line, which was outside of the advised perimeter.  This resulted in significant damage to the overhead line and subsequent network faults.

“We are in contact with the station owner, RWE, to support them in their incident investigation alongside our own internal review into the network fault.

“SSEN takes its responsibility to public safety seriously. We are aware of reports of minor injuries and damage caused by the incident at Sutton Courtenay and are working with the police and other agencies to identify those impacted. We would ask anyone affected to contact us through the power cut helpline 105 so we can investigate further.”

ALSO READ: Footage shows cables 'shaking' seconds before 26,000 homes left without power after Didcot demolition

Oxford Mail: All pictures: Vicki LeeAll pictures: Vicki Lee

Pictures from Vicki Lee, who was watching the event, seem to show a large object coming from the left of the three towers ahead of the explosion. 

ALSO READ: 'It was frightening': Mum tells of moment pylon 'exploded' injuring daughter, 3, and knocking out power to thousands of homes

Oxford Mail:

She said the images show 'something (flying) out and hitting the power line.'

ALSO READ: Didcot Power Station towers demolished

Oxford Mail:

The power line went up in flames moments after the long-planned demolition, causing thousands of homes across Oxfordshire to be without power.

Oxford Mail Camera Club Member Jayme Granito captured this amazing shot of the explosion. 

Oxford Mail:

He said: "Roughly a minute after the cooling towers were demolished this morning and when everyone thought the excitement was over, one of the telegraph poles started surging with electricity sending sparks of electricity into to the air."

In the below shot, taken by Bicester From Above, you can also see the explosion on the far right. 

Oxford Mail: Picture: Bicester From AbovePicture: Bicester From Above

ALSO READ: Didcot Power Station - send us your pictures

The very end of this video footage from Twitter shows the explosion from another angle.