A MAN who carried out a knife-wielding frenzy through the streets of Oxford, bashing cars and screaming at passers-by, has been spared jail.

Liam Clarke had to be tasered by police in order to bring his drunken reign of terror to an end on the afternoon of April 30 this year.

The 31-year old of Burton Place, Oxford, had already admitted one count of having a bladed article, one of common assault and another of causing criminal damage.

At his sentencing at Oxford Crown Court yesterday prosecutors said that Clarke was first seen shouting in the street at Copse Lane before 'trying to start fights with anybody.'

READ ALSO: Woman caught 'taking panoramic photos' at Oxford Crown Court.

Witnesses said that Clarke screamed 'come on' at passers-by before wandering in and out of passing traffic.

He was then seen to pull out a knife from his pocket - described as a three and a half inch folding knife - before striking at three vehicles with the base of the weapon.

As one car approached - which had a woman and her 13-year old daughter inside - Clarke kicked the bumper before leaping on to the bonnet.

The court heard they were 'terrified' of what was unfolding as Clarke continued screaming and shouting.

Before wandering off he cracked the windscreen of that car with the knife.

READ ALSO: Didcot Animal Sanctuary relocates to Wallingford to residents' horror.

While at nearby Stockleys Road the rage continued when he ran up to two leafleters and pushed one of them.

He then pulled the knife out again and 'jabbed' it towards them before they fled the scene.

Police then arrived and Clarke was tasered before being arrested and later admitting the offences.

In mitigation at yesterday's hearing defence barrister Lucy Ffrench said the incident was 'exacerbated' by drink and he had since given up alcohol and reduced his cannabis use.

She said he had since made 'significant progress' with his personal issues.

Sentencing, Judge Ian Pringle QC said that he would follow the recommendation from the National Probation Service and order a community penalty.

READ ALSO: Pictures show man arrested outside Oxford's St Aldate's station.

Clarke was made subject to a community order for 18 months to include 20 rehabilitation activity requirement days and he must obey an overnight curfew for two months from 9pm to 6am. He must also pay a victim surcharge.