FOUR people have been injured, with one man taken to hospital, after an explosion at a village pub.

Firefighters were scrambled to The Lamb Inn, in Crawley near Witney, yesterday when it happened about 11.30am.

No public were inside at the time but there were five staff on site and one person remains in hospital.

ALSO READ: Residents homeless for three months after Oxford flats explosion

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue said the three other people injured were treated at the scene by paramedics.

South Central Ambulance Service confirmed one patient was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital with injuries not thought to be life-threatening.

The fire service added that the cause is still being investgated but is believed to be accidental.

Local residents have suggested it was a gas explosion.

On Facebook a post from First for Safety Oxfordshire said the gas explosion was caused by a gas canister being used for cooking. It also added that reports suggest a substantial crack has appeared in the kitchin and the kitchen door was 'blown apart'.

ALSO READ: Man rushed to hospital after being stabbed

Also on Facebook, the Lamb in Crawley posted that its kitchen will be closed for a few days and thanked everyone for the support and messages.

Government body the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)are now looking into the incident.