THE ravaged remains of a petrol station has shocked passers-by after flames engulfed a village garage within seconds.

A massive fire ripped through the BP petrol station in Stadhampton, near Oxford, on Monday leaving a path of destruction in its wake.

Scroll through the pictures abaove to see the damage, or watch the video below 

Residents gasped at the charred remains which show how the fire tore through the entire store, reportedly starting in one side of the building, spreading the roof and then the entire shop.

At its height, more than 40 firefighters were scrambled, some on the scene within 14 minutes, to make sure the fire did not spread to the petrol pumps and neighbouring homes.

READ AGAIN: Postie's unusual way of delivering parcel through upstairs window wins viral praise

Bins can be seen completely melted on the petrol station forecourt, neighbouring fences burnt down, a strong smell of smoke in the air and the entire shop building reduced to piles of rubble and ashes.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service station manager Andy Ford said: "On arrival, crews got here very quickly with the first within 14 minutes, they were faced with quite a developing fire. The whole building was alight including the roof and inside, and needed urgent action.

"It was a priority to protect the tanks and the adjoining properties."

The firefighter added that all petrol stations have actions in place in case of emergency and the petrol tanks were switched off immediately.

Six crews of firefighters fought to keep the neighbouring buildings safe, as well as the petrol pumps, and said only a small number of people staying nearby were evacuated.

Oxford Mail:

Directly next to the fire station is a number of properties for guests of the Crazy Bear hotel and restaurant which luckily avoided destruction with very minor damage to the outside.

It is believed nobody was injured.

Mr Ford added: "Our crews worked extremely hard to check for any fire spread, and did admirably to stop it."

Photos posted online show the fire as it happened as thick black smoke billowed into the air from the Thame Road facility, which also has an M & S shop.

READ AGAIN: 'No way to predict' wrong-way M40 crash that killed three, police watchdog rules

Road closures were in place late into the night and traffic built up around the area as people tried to avoid the congestion.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service group manager Gary Coupar said: "Initial crews recognised the severity of the fire and the potential for it to spread to very nearby houses, including one that had a large wooden garage right next to the fire.

"They did excellent work to prevent the spread in very difficult circumstances."

Oxford Mail:

Firefighters are investigating the cause and said it could be a few days before any findings.

It is not believed to be suspicious.

The petrol station had reportedly been open less than a year after a complete redevelopment of the forecourt and shop, introducing the M & S branding.

It reopened late last year after a temporary closure.