FAMILY members fled their home in Oxford after a fire took hold of an upstairs bedroom.

Firefighters have released photos of the blackened remains of the room, following the fire on Thursday.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said the fire happened at a semi-detached house in Oxford, but did not specify exactly where.

Oxford Mail:

Oxford Mail:

Posting on Facebook yesterday, the service said: "When crews arrived, they were faced with large amounts of smoke issuing from the first floor windows.

"Crews using breathing apparatus and a high pressure hose reel entered the property and quickly extinguished the fire, which was located in the upstairs rear bedroom.

"The family on discovering the fire, had all exited the property and thankfully no one was injured."

It sent two fire engines from Slade Road station. 

The post did not state what had caused the fire, but pictures showed the charred remains of furniture and a damaged mattress. 

On Saturday police and fire engines attended a house fire in Botley, after a pan was left unattended.

Police said a 'quick-thinking neighbour' and a working smoke alarm helped to reduce the damage and ensure no one was injured.