A GUNMAN who fired shots at police and passers-by from a city centre balcony has been jailed.

Duncan Shearman, of Paradise Square, Oxford, brought the centre of Oxford to a standstill when he began pointing an 'arsenal' of weapons on May 7 last year and firing round after round.

At his sentencing at Oxford Crown Court this morning Judge Maria Lamb called the 26-year old's behaviour that day 'erratic'.

FULL STORY: Sentencing begins for Duncan Shearman who reigned terror on Oxford city centre in Bank Holiday siege

She said: "You were seen chewing a [police-fired] baton round, you removed your clothing.

"You told an officer you were Jesus, you made references to Mark Duggan.

"At one stage you were heard saying you were going to blow your head off.

"You had an arsenal of different weapons, all of which - save for one - were discharged.

"They were imitation firearms and were very realistic in appearance to the point that they made a noise on discharge and there was a muzzle flash.

"They were mistaken for the genuine article by those who were targeted by them.

"What you did had a profound effect on those who were there - police officers, witnesses, members of the public."

Oxford Mail:

She added that Shearman seemed to have an 'obsession' with weapons.

Earlier, at the start of his sentencing hearing on Friday prosecutors played body worn footage of the dramatic stand-off that lasted for 14 hours.

The footage appeared to show officers try to negotiate with Shearman who called out ‘Duncan died, my name is Jesus Christ’.

Not long after an armed stand-off ensued with rounds being fired from his balcony at police, the public and towards the nearby Westgate Centre.

The spark for the incident, the court heard, was a row between Shearman and his neighbour which led to him pointing a pistol at him.

ALSO READ: Dramatic moment gang try to blow up ATM in Budgens

As this escalated the police were called which led to a ‘massive’ armed police response including ambulances and fire crews, with units swarming on the small row of flats that lies just next to the Westgate Centre.

Prosecutor Matthew Walsh said Shearman was ‘incredibly lucky’ to be alive after one armed officer fired a live round which ‘by luck’ missed him.

Eventually, at 2.55am, Shearman surrendered and was arrested by police.

It was later revealed that of the array of weapons he had used to unleash terror on the city none were capable of firing live rounds.

Victim personal statements read to the court revealed the fear neighbours had had with some saying they thought they would die. Armed officers also spoke of their psychological difficulty in coping with the aftermath from the stand-off.

ALSO READ: 'Jihadi Jack' says he feels guilty for parents' terror funding convictions

After his arrest he later admitted possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence, possession of a prohibited weapon, possession of a firearm in public in causing criminal damage.

In mitigation at his sentencing hearing defence barrister Kellie Enever said that her client 'didn't recall' firing at the officers but accepted from his pleas to having firearms and a prohibited weapon that he had.

She added that psychiatric reports prepared ahead of the hearing indicated he suffered from mental health problems.

Shearman was ultimately jailed for six years and will also serve a four-year period of extended licence.

He must also pay a victim surcharge and was made subject to an indefinite restraining order against his neighbour and covering the area of Paradise Square.