A GUNMAN who reigned terror on passers-by and armed police during a 14-hour siege has appeared at court for sentencing.

Duncan Shearman brought the centre of Oxford to a standstill last year after he began pointing what police and neighbours believed to be a cache of weapons, firing round after round from his balcony.

Footage of the dramatic Bank Holiday incident played at Oxford Crown Court yesterday appeared to show the 26-year old call out to officers who were negotiating with him ‘Duncan died, my name is Jesus Christ’.

READ ALSO: 'Jihadi Jack' parents John Letts and Sally Lane found guilty of funding terrorism.

Not long after officers were forced to retreat behind cover as repeated shots roared out from the top floor balcony of his home address at Paradise Square, Oxford.

The court heard yesterday how the stand-off began after reports were made that Shearman had aimed at pistol at a neighbour following a row at about 1pm on May 7 last year.

This led to a ‘massive’ armed police response including rows of ambulances and fire crews, with units swarming on the small row of flats that lies just next to the Westgate Centre.

Shearman went on to fire shots from a number of weapons at members of the public, officers on the scene and in the direction of the nearby shopping centre.

READ ALSO: Girl hit by car on Cumnor Hill near Oxford.

Outlining the case yesterday prosecutor Matthew Walsh said Shearman was ‘incredibly lucky’ to be alive after one armed officer fired a live round which ‘by luck’ missed him.

It was later revealed once the siege had come to an end that of the array of weapons he had used to unleash terror on the city none were capable of firing live rounds.

Revealing the spark behind the incident Mr Walsh said it unfolded after a row between Shearman and his neighbour over Shearman looking down into the other man’s garden.

It was this dispute that led to the ‘chain of terrifying events which were to last for many, many hours.’

Mr Walsh said that at first it was not immediately clear whether the array of weapons Shearman was using were real or not and that one featured a realistic ‘muzzle flare’.

READ ALSO: Safie Xheta murder investigation - police arrest Oxford man.

At one point during the siege one armed officer fired a live round at Shearman which ultimately missed its target.

Later, Shearman pointed one of the pistols at his own neck and was heard to tell officers to shoot him. Efforts to talk him down carried on throughout the day and night and into the next morning.

Eventually, at 2.55am, Shearman surrendered and was arrested by police.

Victim personal statements read to the court revealed the fear neighbours had had with some saying they thought they would die. Armed officers also spoke of their psychological difficulty in coping with the aftermath from the stand-off.

In mitigation at the hearing defence barrister Kellie Enever said that her client 'didn't recall' firing at the officers but accepted from his pleas to having firearms and a prohibited weapon that he had.

She added that psychiatric reports prepared ahead of the hearing indicated he suffered from mental health problems.

The case was adjourned due to lack of court time and the final sentence will be given by presiding Judge Maria Lamb on Monday at the same court.