A PAEDOPHILE died in jail after stashing his prescribed drugs and taking a toxic mix after prison staff said he could take them back to his room.

On the night of January 11, 2018, Daniel Davey was taken from HMP Bullingdon, in Bicester, to the John Radcliffe Hospital – where he was pronounced dead.

Just one month earlier, 21-year-old Davey had been sentenced to 10 years and six months in prison after being found guilty of child sex offences.

Despite his cell mate, Gary Murphy, telling him ‘things would get better’ and that the 10 years inside would ‘go quickly’ – Davey stashed away his prescribed medicine and took dozens of pills in one night.

READ ALSO: Police investigating after crash which injured 77-year-old 

On entering the prison Davey, who had been living with a friend in Bicester before he was jailed, had been assessed as low risk – despite presenting as tearful and sparking concerns that he should have been monitored more closely.

Because he had been given a low risk status, Davey was allowed to have his medicine – which was prescribed for anxiety in the lead up to his sentencing – in daily doses.

Davey, who was previously working at McDonald's could bring the medication back to his room instead of taking it in front of the nurse at the hatch.

On the night of his death, the court heard how his cell mate was disturbed while watching television because Davey started to vomit.

READ ALSO: Special constable caught with 'disgusting' sexual images of animals and corpses

Staff from the prison's night staff were called to the room, and statements were read to the jury explaining that Davey was talking and coherent, explaining to them all that he had taken an overdose.

Alexander Long, one of the paramedics called to the scene, said it took 26 minutes in total to get to the patient, because of the lengthy protocols getting into the category B prison.

Prison officer Andrew Hewitt blamed a ‘staff shortage’ for being in control of five exit gates to get the ambulance to the right wing of the prison.

The paramedic went on to explain in his statement that, when they reached Davey, he had been fitting and was going into cardiac arrest but could not be saved.

READ MORE: Number of young people seeking mental support in Oxfordshire soars

His cell mate at the time, Gary Murphy, was the first to raise the alarm that something was not right.

He was watching the Derry Girls when Davey got out of bed vomiting.

Murphy put him in the recovery position and pressed the alarm, triggering the ‘blue bell’ (the most serious of bells) to be raised by prison staff.

Murphy, who spoke to the jury at the inquest yesterday, said: “We had been sharing a cell for about a month when this happened. We talked about a lot of different things, he also liked to watch Family Guy on the telly. He was quite a nice person; I would describe Daniel with a well spoken accent. He liked his food and was always eating.

“He told me had had some sort of personality disorder and told me he was on medication, but never told me what he was taking.”

READ ALSO: Oxford University defends use of animal testing after protest

He explained what had happened that night: “That night he sat up and started being sick. He looked fine. I raised the alarm, told her he was being sick and put him into recovery position. I was put into another room and I did not see Daniel when the nurse came into my room again."

Davey had asked Murphy about suicidal thoughts and admitted self-harming, he said. The inquest heard Davey had also asked prison staff to be put on an hourly monitoring scheme.

Murphy continued: “I told him suicide was a bad idea and that I would never go through with it. He told me that he regretted what he had done, and I told him that the time will go quick and that there are better prisons [he could move to].”

On arrival to the prison Davey was assessed by staff.

The nurse who completed the 'yes or no' form was Silhe Makanda, working the late shift.

Despite not remembering him, the court heard how on arrival he ‘appeared to be very low and tearful’.

Details were noted of his past with drugs and suicidal thoughts, but nothing was done because the form recorded that he had not tried to kill himself in the last 12 months – despite a suicide attempt just more than a year before his incarceration.

Representing the family, Taimour Lay, asked the nurse if she had assumed another doctor would take a look more closely at the risk Davey posed to himself at a later date, and she said yes.

The inquest continues.