A NEIGHBOUR nearly burnt down a building in a next door garden after lighting a bonfire.

Fire crews attended the incident in Cuddesdon Way, Blackbird Leys at noon today.

The fire service said the fire had been positioned 'far too close' to an outbuilding and spread to its roof.

Firefighters used hoses to put it out and assisted the resident in protecting items stored within.

READ ALSO: Thames Valley police use Stagecoach bus to catch drivers on phones

They then stripped back the roof to ensure the fire couldn't spread any further.

Firefighter David Vermeulen said, “This is a timely reminder that bonfires can be dangerous unless treated responsibly.

"Always ensure they are at least 6 metres away from buildings or trees and have a suitable extinguisher on hand such as a garden hose or buckets of water."