AFTER the victim of a stabbing in Oxford died of his injuries on Wednesday, we looked back at the chain of events since the vicious attack eight days ago.

Thames Valley Police has arrested two men on suspicion of murder after one of the victims of the attack in Southfield Road, East Oxford, died in hospital on Wednesday evening.

Read more: Stabbing victim dies in hospital

The victim, who was aged 22 and from Southampton, was hit by a vehicle and stabbed several times in the late night attack on Wednesday, February 27.

He was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital but has since died of his injuries. His family have been informed.

Another man, 27, was also taken to hospital with stab wounds following the attack, but has since been discharged

Here's what we know so far:

What happened on the night:

  • Two men were stabbed in a late night brawl in East Oxford on Wednesday, February 27.
  • Police believe the incident started at about 11.20pm in Ridgefield Road, before moving into Southfield Road.
  • Up to ten people are thought to have been involved.
  • There were reports of a group of men running away from the scene towards Cowley Road last Wednesday night. 
  • One of the victims was hit by a car in the same road before being stabbed several times and died of his injuries yesterday evening.
  • Both victims, who were in their 20s, were taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital.

What has happened since:

  • Southfield Road, opposite the City Arms pub, was closed from late on Wednesday night and throughout Thursday following the attack.
  • Forensics were spotted on sight, with a blue forensics tent was set up at the junction with Warneford Road.
  • The vehicle involved on the night has been recovered by police.
  • One of the victims, a 22-year-old from Southampton, died of his injuries in hospital yesterday evening.
  • The other victim, aged 27, sustained less serious injuries and has since been discharged from hospital.
  • Police have now launched a murder investigation.

What arrests have been made:

  • Last night, police arrested two men from Oxford, aged 25 and 18, on suspicion of murder. They remain in police custody.
  • A 19-year-old of no fixed abode also remains in police custody.
  • A 20-year-old from Oxford has been released on bail until April 1.
  • A 22-year-old man, from Oxford, who was arrested last week has been released on police bail until March 27.
  • A 21-year-old man, from Oxford, has been released without charge.
  • Another man was arrested in London at the weekend, but was also released without charge.

What happens next:

  • There will continue to be an increased police presence in the area over the coming days, although police said there was 'no suggestion' of a threat to the wider community.
  • Police have appealed for witnesses, particularly anyone with footage of the incident.

If you have any information, contact police on the 24-hour Thames Valley Police enquiry centre 101, quoting URN 1134 (6/3).”

Anyone with information is asked to call the 24-hour Thames Valley Police enquiry centre on 101, quoting URN 1134 06/03/2019.

The victim's death comes days after three men admitted a stabbing in an Oxford park.

Read again: Gang admits stabbing in Oxford park

The gang 'encircled' a victim, in his 30s, who was wielding a bicycle chain, near Blackbird Leys park on September 4.

A 31-year-old was later treated in hospital before he was discharged.

Last October, five killers were found guilty of a savage attack in which Christopher Lemonius was hacked to death in a Blackbird Leys alleyway in June 2017.

Read again: Christopher Lemonius killers found guilty

Weapons including machetes and golf clubs were used to inflict more than 80 separate injuries on the victim.