Police are continuing to hunt up to ten people after an attempted murder in East Oxford.

Two men were stabbed after a late-night brawl in Southfield Road, off Cowley Road, about 11.30pm on Wednesday.

One of the victims, a man in his 20s, was left fighting for his life in hospital.

LATEST UPDATE: Two men arrested after Southfield Road double stabbing

The force said group of men were seen running away from the scene towards Cowley Road, while it is also believed a car was also involved in a crash on the same road.

A 22-year-old man of no fixed abode has been arrested on suspicion of Section 18 wounding with intent and remains in police custody.

Police are looking for a vehicle involved, which has been described as a silver-coloured Kia with a partial registration number of LC56.


Investigating officer Detective Inspector James Senior, of Force CID based at Oxford police station, said: “We are in the very early stages of this investigation, but I would appeal to anybody who witnessed this incident to contact police.

“The victims sustained serious injuries and while both remain in hospital one remains in a critical condition.

"There are also some concerns after reports that a third man may have been involved in a collision with a vehicle. I would appeal to that person to come forward, not only for us to check on his welfare, but also as a witness to this incident."

The force added the person who was on foot may have been involved in the crash with a vehicle in Southfield Road - but has not been located.

UPDATE: Police seize car after stabbing

The road was closed off at the junction with Cowley Road through to Warneford Road.

Oxford Mail:

There was also a section sealed off within the cordon which appears to include about three or four houses, and The Oxford Mail saw forensics on site.

There is a blue forensics tent at the junction with Warneford Road, believed to be outside a block of flats called Sinnet Court.

Oxford Mail:

Residents have had to give details including names and contact numbers in order to get past the cordon and into the flats.

Oxford Mail:

South Central Ambulance Service (SCAS) confirmed two men were taken to hospital.

SCAS spokesman David Gallagher said: "One male in his 20s had sustained life-threatening injuries and after initial treatment at the scene was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital.

"A second patient whose injuries were not immediately life-threatening was also taken to the John Radcliffe for further treatment and assessment."

Detective Inspector James Senior added: "Although this is obviously a concerning incident, we do believe this to be isolated by people known to each other. There is no identified wider risk to the local community.

“If anybody has any concerns, please do not hesitate to speak to officers who are on scene."

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 reference URN 1564 (27/2)

Oxford Mail: