OXFORD United have announced Ian Mixter has resigned as the club's safety officer.

In a statement on the club's website, Mixter said the decision had come after receiving "vile abuse" over the weekend.

Mixter said: "I have always tried to balance my responsibilities for safety with the expectations of the fans.

"I have worked with some good people over the years and wish Oxford well for the future.

"In my position supporters are entitled to their opinion on my decisions and I have always been happy to debate such matters face to face whether at a forum, meetings with supporters groups or one to one meetings with fans.

"However, the level of personal vile abuse received by myself over the last 24 hours coupled with previous direct threats on the safety of my family has caused to me to resign with immediate effect as head of crowd safety."

U's managing director Niall McWilliams thanked Mixter for his service, which includes developing the Ox Rails system that has been on trial in the East Stand this season.

He said: "Without exception, Ian has worked in a professional manner in dealing with all issues surrounding safety at Oxford United.

 “From a club perspective, we are extremely disappointed that one of our colleagues has not been treated with the respect they deserve.

"Whilst we appreciate that this has been a difficult season for us, it is clearly not right for our hard working staff to feel threatened either in person or online.

"As an organisation that has respect at the centre of all we do, we feel strongly that this should not happen; it is not behaviour we will tolerate."

It comes following Saturday's 1-0 defeat to Peterborough United.

The U's have also sought to explain an incident before the game, where fans group the Oxford Ultras were turned away in the morning when they arrived as normal to put up their banners in the East Stand.

United say Mixter and stadium manager Michael Doyle asked them to return at noon, although the Ultras have said they were asked to come back to explain why the banners were not allowed.

The noon deadline is part of the contract with the stadium company, who appear to be enforcing the rules more rigidly than in the past.

That move could be explained by the news today, when it emerged Firoka had filed a winding-up petition against the U's over a payment of £240,000.

The Ultras had announced last week they would be disbanding at the end of the season - their tenth as a group.

But they have now done so with immediate effect.

United said: "We would like to thank them for ten years of colour and atmosphere at games and we know they will continue to support the club as individuals.

"Talks are already under way with OxVox and the Stadium Company to find a permanent solution at the back of the East Stand which will add the same colour as the flags.

"We will continue to work closely with the Stadium Company and adhere to the midday on Saturday agreement."