TWO people had to be treated for smoke inhalation after an oven blaze nearly destroyed a West Oxfordshire home.

Crews from Eynsham Fire Station and Rewley Road were called to a property in the village of Stanton Harcourt, near Witney, on Thursday night.

They found the kitchen filled with smoke but said the 'swift action' of the occupants meant the fire was isolated to the oven.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and were able to remove the grill pan. A high pressure fan was then used to clear the property of smoke.

ALSO READ: See fire engines battle 'arson' at derelict house

The pair were treated for minor smoke inhalation.

Sharing the incident on social media, Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service warned: "This incident could have been far worse as crews discovered that no smoke alarms were fitted in the property.

"Please ensure you have a working smoke alarm on every level of your own home."