A YEAR on from the brutal killing of a teenager by the River Thames in Oxford, police are still searching for those responsible.

Today marks the first anniversary of the death of 16-year-old Harun Jama in the Friars Wharf area of the city, close to the Westgate Centre.

Tomorrow the force is expected to announce that it is again going to increase activity near the scene of the crime as it continues to look for witnesses who may have seen what happened.

But six months since officers last re-launched their appeal into the killing, no further updates have been reported.

AS IT HAPPENED - Murder hunt launched after body discovered 

And people who live close to the area have expressed doubts that anyone will ever be brought to justice.

Oxford Mail:

One resident, who passes the crime scene everyday and asked not to be named, said: "The police stepped up their presence in the area during the first few months of the year but this has tailed off.

"Beyond a few posters locally in early 2018, I've not seen much evidence that the police are actively looking."

READ AGAIN: Residents 'frightened in their own home' with anti-social behaviour on the rise 

In June, lead investigator DCI Andy Howard, said his team was just one 'key piece of information' away from connecting the dots and solving the crime.

Oxford Mail:

He reassured people that a lot of work was going on behind the scenes as another poster appeal was launched.

Harun was found stabbed and bleeding to death under a footbridge in the estate shortly before 8pm on January 3, 2018.

The wannabe engineer, from Birmingham, was taken to hospital where he later died of his injuries.

Family and friends have maintained a constant memorial to the keen footballer at the site where he died, repeatedly laying flowers and tributes under the bridge.

Speaking last year his mum Hibo Fidow said: "I just wanted a good life for my son. I wanted to see him grow up and go to university. He wanted to be an engineer.

Oxford Mail:

“I never thought that something like this would happen to him. Even when I heard it I still didn’t believe it.

“I believe that one day they will find the person who did this. I pray every day that police will find the person who killed my son.”

Oxford Mail:

The day after the killing, an eyewitness told the Oxford Mail he had seen a group of runners trying to save the boy by performing CPR.

He said: "[Harun] had a leg wound and a larger wound on his chest.

"There was a lot of blood, right along the path, and his eyes were rolled back in his head.

"I think he was dead then. I know that there was no pulse.”