AN Indian restaurant in Wallingford was shut down after council food hygiene inspectors found evidence of a rat infestation.

South Oxfordshire District Council closed Anokhi, based on High Street, after finding rat droppings throughout the kitchen and storage areas and on shelving in the food preparation area.

The discovery came during an unannounced routine inspection on December 6.

It resulted in the authority serving an emergency prohibition notice, which immediately banned the restaurant from serving food to the public.

The notice has now been lifted and the food preparation areas reopened.

This followed improvements made to the building to prevent pests getting to the food preparation area. 

The council environmental health team is continuing to work with the business to help them improve their level of compliance.

Despite the improvements it currently holds a food hygiene score of zero.

Oxford Mail:

Caroline Newton, Cabinet member for housing and environment at the council, said: “All businesses serving food must abide by certain standards of health and hygiene.

"The council has a duty to ensure catering companies maintain these standards and if required, as in this case, will take immediate action to help to protect public health. ”