EMERGENCY services were called to a home in Headington this morning after a faulty tumble dryer caught fire.

The occupants of the house were able to close the door to the utility room to prevent the fire from spreading before evacuating the house in Foxwell Drive.

Fire crews from Slade Park and Rewley Road Fire Stations arrived soon after 8am to distinguish the blaze.

Incident commander crew manager Mike Brooker praised the quick-thinking residents saying had the occupier not closed the door the smoke could have spread to the entire ground floor, preventing the occupants from escaping.

Mr Brooker said: “It is very important that you are home when using any type of domestic appliance.

“Tumble dryer fires can develop very quickly, and I ask people to follow our top tips to reduce the chances of a fire occurring in your home.

“The occupier prevented further damage to the property by closing doors and calling us immediately, this undoubtedly prevented the incident from escalating.”

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Services Tumble Dryer Top Tips

  • Regularly clean and remove the fluff from the filter.
  • Only run your tumble dryer during the day when you are at home to keep an eye on it.
  • Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and any additional advice they may have sent recently.
  • Watch for warning signs such as unusual smells during use, items taking longer to dry than normal, and the external vent flap opening when the dryer is on.
  • Make sure the machine is regularly cleaned and follow all the manufacturer’s instructions to maintain the machine and ensure excess fluff or lint doesn't build up over time and catch fire.
  • Make sure the vent is always uncovered.
  • Make sure you have working smoke alarms and a fire escape plan.