A FIRE threatened to take hold of a home in Grove after an unswept chimney caught alight.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service issued a warning to home owners ahead of this weekend's cold snap, after sending a crew to a fire in Denchworth Road.

The blaze broke out at 4pm on Thursday inside the chimney flue, after the fireplace was lit.

A resident called 999 after realising the fire had become 'out of control', the fire service said, and crews arrived soon after to extinguish the flames with specialist chimney equipment.

Incident commander Colin Littlechild, watch manager from Wantage Fire Station, said: "Firefighters worked quickly and efficiently to extinguish the fire.

"I advise anyone who uses an open fire or log burner to get their chimney swept before winter. 

"Please insure you also have working smoke alarms and to test them regularly."