A 17th century town hall 'on stilts' is to get a major series of repairs.

Faringdon Town Council has applied for planning permission to carry out the works on the Grade II listed building in the market place.

Among the plans, the council wants to carry out mortar repair to stones in the upper section of war memorial, fill in cracks and remove moss from the building's roof.

The Old Town Hall, built in the late 17th century, was extensively restored in 1921 as a war memorial when oak panels were mounted on the exterior walls.

Faringdon Town Council now acts as sole trustee of the Faringdon War Memorial Trust set up to look after the building. The upper room is used as a parish meeting room.

Members of public can see the repair plans online at whitehorsedc.gov.uk using reference number P18/V2332/FUL.

Vale of White Horse District Council is due to make a decision on the plans by December 14.