A man who was stabbed when he intervened in a fight in Oxford has spoken of his pain and need for justice.

Roy Sinclair was knifed in the lung and kidney when he stepped in to the row outside his home in Blackbird Leys Road, Blackbird Leys.

The 38-year-old has remained in the John Radcliffe Hospital since the attack outside Windrush Tower on Thursday evening, and underwent an emergency operation on his kidney on the night of his stabbing.

Father-of-two Mr Sinclair remains in the Headington hospital's surgical emergency unit, has trouble breathing and has not been able to eat since the incident.

He does not know when he will be discharged from hospital and said: "I feel really down. All the time I am thinking about my lung which is damaged.

"I cannot sleep. I am in pain all over my body. Every day I get up and they say blood is leaking inside my chest.

"I am just trying to get better at the moment. I am fighting it. My family are supporting me a lot.

"Every day I pray that I could be out today or tomorrow. But I look at my body and I know it cannot be tomorrow or today."

Mr Sinclair, who works as a builder, added: "I am thinking about what happened to me - I did not deserve it. I never carried a knife around when I was a kid. I want justice."

Mr Sinclair spoke to the Oxford Mail on the day that Oxford's police commander appealed for more witnesses to the stabbing to talk to police.

Supt Brendan O'Dowda said: "People have a responsibility on behalf of this community to come forward and speak to officers about it."

He played down tensions in the area which saw a youth event for 150 people cancelled on Friday, and added: "What we do not have in Blackbird Leys is groups of youths marauding around the streets armed with knives.

"We are dealing with this incident in the same way that we deal with any knife related crime. That is robustly, professionally and working with the community.

"Every knife-related crime is totally unacceptable."

South East Oxford Inspector Phil Standish said British Crime Survey statistics showed crime had dropped by 43 per cent on the estate in the last 12 months.

He said: "This is a serious incident, but people do feel safe walking around Blackbird Leys and they do accept that this is an isolated incident."

Two youths aged 16, a 15-year-old boy and a 13-year-old boy who were arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent have been bailed until Friday, September 21.

A 17-year-old boy arrested on suspicion of assaulting a police officer and for possession of an offensive weapon is due to answer bail on Monday