Two injury worries were the main concern for Oxford United as they lost their final game at sunny Kit Kat Crescent.

Goalkeeper Billy Turley was unable to play, despite being named on the teamsheet 45 minutes before the start, after hurting his thumb in the warm-up.

There were fears that it might be dislocated, but the keeper said later it was merely bruising.

But Luke Foster, playing in a holding midfield role against his former club, was a more serious worry after he injured his ankle in a fierce tackle after a quarter of an hour, and he had to go to hospital for X-rays.

The Minstermen won the game with a fine 38th-minute goal from Neal Bishop, who was probably the game's best player, to book their place in the play-offs.

The U's had nothing riding on the game, as such, but they deserve credit for still being highly competitive, closing down especially well, and they probably deserved a draw for a strong second-half showing which almost brought an equaliser from Rob Duffy and Danny Rose.

Jim Smith rested Phil Gilchrist, Chris Hargreaves and Martin Foster, while Yemi Odubade once again came on only for the last few minutes.

After an appreciative minute's applause in memory of the late Alan Ball, there was an atmosphere of expectancy among the home fans.

A useful break on the right edge of the box from Clayton Donaldson, who skipped eaily past Barry Quinn's challenge, ended with Emmanuel Panther hitting a powerful drive over from 25 yards.

Luke Foster hobbled off in the 19th minute, with Eddie Hutchinson - surprisingly back involved after Smith initially said he wouldn't travel with the squad because of a dental operation - taking over as the holding player in midfield in a straight swap.

Within moments of that enforced change, Oxford almost took the lead.

Chris Zebroski fired in a cross-shot from the right and Duffy, arriving late at the far post, stuck out a foot and was unlucky to see it drift just the wrong side of an upright.

It took a great challenge by Quinn on Martyn Woolford to prevent the York midfielder getting in a shot from close range.

Chris Tardif made an excellent save midway through the first half when he came quickly off his line to smother a shot from Craig Farrell.

But the stand-in keeper was struggling when an inswinging corner minutes later whistled across his goalmouth.

York enjoyed a good spell of pressure near the end of the first half and took the lead with a cracking goal.

Bishop latched onto Eddie Anaclet's defensive header with a first-time low volley from 25 yards which flew past Tardif and went in off the inside of a post.

Quinn was booked for a handball that looked more ball to hand than the other way round, yet was probably grateful, as he was the last man, that it wasn't a red card.

Oxford made a strong start to the second half, with Mickey Corcoran having a header at a corner nodded off the line by Farrell.

And good work by Zebroski presented half a chance to Duffy, who was just unable to stick out his left leg to turn in his striking partner's cross.

The second half was becoming an open affair and Duffy saw a well-struck half-volley saved at his right-hand post by keeper Tom Evans.

Tardif then got down well to save at the feet of Panther, who was increasingly becoming a driving force in midfield.

Rufus Brevett and then Odubade came on as the U's pressed strongly for an equaliser.

Hutchinson met a dropping ball on the volley, but saw the effort saved, and Rose produced three good shots in succession from distance.

Some York fans thought their team had got a second goal as Woolford ran 40 yards through the centre of the park, but fired his 20-yard shot just the wrong side of a post.

In injury time, Rose twisted and turned to get the ball onto his right foot and then hit a superb 20-yard drive just past the left post with keeper Evans rooted to his spot.

But York held on, to herald scenes of great jubilation at the final whistle.

They had qualified for the play-offs, where they will face Morecambe. Oxford head to Devon.