A sloppy goal given away three minutes from time means Oxford United must do it all again in an FA Trophy second-round replay at The Shay.

But they have only themselves to blame as they failed to make the game safe when in control in the second half after playing some of their best football for weeks.

Leading 2-1 with time running out, the U's must have felt they were through to the third round.

But when Tom Kearney swung over a deep free-kick from the right, which had been conceded by Georges Santos, indecision and confusion reigned at the back post for United.

Goalkeeper Billy Turley started to come out to the free-kick, then appeared to change his mind.

On-loan Santos didn't deal with it, and time seemed to stand still for several moments before debutant Darryn Stamp knocked the loose ball home to earn Halifax a 2-2 draw.

Another match was not what the U's wanted, with five of their senior players injured, but they have no choice.

Players like Yemi Odubade, Danny Rose and Carl Pettefer deserved to have been on the winning side. All three were excellent, offering great encouragement for the future as they thrived in the extra space the 4-3-3 system gave them.

Marvin Robinson and Rose each got their first goals for the club as Oxford came from behind to lead before half-time.

Halifax started the brighter, and they took an 11th-minute lead.

Nicky Gray tried to nip past Oxford left back Matt Day inside the area and was tripped, and referee Graham Horwood pointed straight to the spot - one of his few correct decisions in the first 45 minutes.

It was the first penalty Halifax have been awarded this season, and although Martin Foster drove it straight, it had far too much power for Turley.

Halifax had given plenty of warnings before then.

From a free-kick in the second minute, centre back Quinn arrived at the back post with a header, but he was under pressure from Santos and couldn't get much purchase on the effort.

Matt Doughty had an opportunity from a 25-yard free-kick and did the first bit well by bending his left-foot shot around the wall, but it was three yards wide.

Lewis Killeen then timed his run well to stick out a leg from Stamp's knock-down, but Turley, quickly off his line, saved well with his legs.

United responded well to falling behind, striking back with two goals in eight minutes, both made by livewire Odubade.

He sprinted past Adam Quinn on the right, and his low cross evaded both Craig Mawson and two defenders, but not Robinson who turned it in at the far post from two yards.

Then, seven minutes before the break, Odubade controlled a difficult high ball with a great first touch, and his low angled shot had too much sting for Mawson, who spilled it. Rose showed great close control to weedle the ball away and knock it into the goal from a tight angle.

The U's played some very good football in the second half, with Rose and Odubade instrumental in most of their best moves.

Once again, though, it was Halifax who started the half better.

Gray fired a 30-yard drive wide and Stamp just failed to reach Danny Forrest's low right-wing cross.

Midfielder Martin Foster couldn't believe how he missed from three yards as he came in to meet another dangerous centre from the right, this time by Ryan Toulson.

But after those early scares, United took charge, passing the ball very well at times as they attacked the Oxford Mail Stand end.

A fine move involving Eddie Anaclet, Odubade and Rob Duffy ended with Gavin Johnson drilling a shot across goal and barely a yard past the far post.

Superb play by Odubade, sprinting past his man and sending over a good cross, created another good chance for the U's, but Rose snatched at the shot, and screwed it wide.

Halifax were starting to play the ball longer, with Stamp a handful.

The striker, signed this week from Stevenage, had gone close with a header from 12 yards.

And the opportunity presented to him three minutes from the end was too good to turn down.