Oxford United failed to score for the first time this season - but extended their unbeaten start to 15 games in a bruising encounter at Aggborough last night.

Kidderminster's on-loan Crewe defender, Paul Bignot, was sent off on the hour for a horribly high challenge on Chris Hargreaves.

It was the kind of challenge that can break a player's leg, so Bignot could have few complaints.

The ref also booked six players - four from Oxford - while a number of others picked up injuries.

It was a hard-earned point for Jim Smith's side, but it came at a cost.

Eleven-goal striker Rob Duffy collected his fifth booking of the campaign, which means he will be suspended for United's next away game, at Cambridge on Friday week, and Andy Burgess hobbled off injured early in the second half.

Smith made just one change to the team which ran away with it at Forest Green, Rufus Brevett returning at left wingback and Matt Day dropping back down to the bench.

The U's put together one brilliant move in the 12th minute which brought them their first corner.

Barry Quinn, unmarked, met Andy Burgess's flag-kick with a powerful downward header, but keeper Scott Bevan parried it to safety.

It was the second good chance the visitors had carved out in the opening exchanges as Duffy had earlier planted a header just over the bar.

Eddie Anaclet continued from where he left off at the New Lawn, and both Burgess and Hargreaves were influential figures in the middle of the park.

Burgess delivered one remarkable 40-yard diagonal pass for Duffy who, although he had Steve Basham square and in a better position, unleashed an ambitious shot.

Hargreaves then hit a ferocious drive into the side-netting with keeper Bevan rooted to the spot.

At the other end, Phil Gilchrist came up with a vital last-ditch tackle on Harriers' on-loan striker Reuben Reid.

The contest became more heated with a spate of bookings.

Hargreaves was the first for a late challenge, Brevett and Iyseden Christie were then shown yellow cards for what was little more than handbags, and Duffy soon followed for a foul.

Bignot was finding a lot of space to deliver in useful crosses.

And, from one of them, Gavin Hurren's header brought a save from Billy Turley.

Oxford were bossing the game and it seemed only a matter of time before they would score.

And right at the end of the half, Duffy's far-post header at a corner was nodded off the line by Mark Creighton.

Day replaced Brevett for the second half, which was only eight minutes old when United lost playmaker Burgess to an injury.

He was hurt in a challenge near the centre circle, and although he tried to shrug it off, the board was soon held up with his number on, and Yemi Odubade took over.

As United had to adjust now to having three attackers, but being sometimes outnumbered in central midfield, Turley had to save a long-range shot from Craig Nelthorpe.

The dismissal of Bignot helped put the U's back in the ascendancy, though as they discovered against Grays, it's often no easier facing ten than 11.

Duffy headed Carl Pettefer's corner straight at the keeper, and Odubade fired a snapshot wide from Duffy's flick-on soon after.

Turley came out bravely to save at the feet of Russell Penn, and both players were hurt in the collision, Penn more so than the keeper.

Or so it seemed. When he got up, after lengthy treatment, he seemed as right as rain, and it angered the travelling Oxford fans that he didn't have to leave the field after his treatment.

Smith hauled off Basham soon after he gave the ball away, which led to a Kidderminster break.

Eddie Hutchinson came on to bolster the midfield but hard though they pressed, United couldn't find a winner.