A QUICK-thinking mum pulled her toddler from an electric toy car seconds before it went up in flames.

The woman was in the garden with her two-year-old son yesterday when she saw smoke coming out of the vehicle.

She ran over and hauled him to safety just before it was engulfed in flames, then called 999.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue service sent firefighters from Thame to the home in nearby Monks Risborough.

By the time they arrived the car fire had spread to a five-metre section of hedgerow.

Oxford Mail:

The crew extinguished the whole thing using a high-pressure hose jet.

Incident commander Andy Ford, of Thame Fire Station, said the mum's prompt action saved her son from serious injury.

His team has also reported the incident to Buckinghamshire County Council's trading standards service, and issued a reminder to all parents to make sure they are safe when buying electrical goods.

The fire service warned people that many consumer goods need to display a CE mark to indicate they comply with relevant legislation.