The mother of a young Witney motorcyclist who died in a head-on smash has welcomed a jury's verdict that his death was caused by dangerous driving.

Neil Thacker, 25, of Curbridge Road, was killed on March 19 last year after his motorbike was hit by a truck driven by Stephen McKenzie on the A4095, just north of Bampton.

McKenzie, 52, of Rock Road, Carterton, denied causing Mr Thacker's death by dangerous driving but after a two-day trial at Oxford Crown Court, a jury found him guilty on Thursday.

The court heard McKenzie momentarily lost concentration and swerved on to the other side of the road, hitting Mr Thacker's motorbike head-on.

Judge Bruce McIntyre warned McKenzie that he faces jail when he is sentenced on August 3.

Mr Thacker's mother Ann said: "I don't wish someone in jail, but I don't want Neil's life to be considered worthless either.

"I did not go to court because I would have been too emotional - my feelings about the case are very complicated.

"The jury has decided that there is a case to answer of causing Neil's death by dangerous driving. This is English justice and it has to be done.

"Part of me is sorry for the driver's family, but a jail sentence could make people who drive in a dangerous way think twice about how their driving is causing such heartache. The heartache this has caused is immeasurable and it doesn't get any better - it's the same every day.

"It is immaterial to me if this man serves six months, two years or longer because I have lost my son and we all still miss Neil terribly. We still can't believe that he is not going to walk in the door just like he has been on a long holiday. Neil was a lovely boy and a wonderful son. He was a good lad who loved life and enjoyed every minute of it."

Mrs Thacker and her husband Steve work at Henry Box School where Neil was a pupil. They and their son Martin, 29, will not attend the sentencing either.

The teaching assistant paid tribute to the Thames Valley and Chiltern Air Ambulance, which arrived at the crash site within minutes of the accident.

She added: "They were in the air at the time, so they got there in minutes but unfortunately there was nothing they could do for Neil and he died at the roadside.

"After Neil's death, we raised more than £3,000 for the air ambulance and their profile has definitely been raised in the Witney area."