THE HUSBAND of a mother-of-three killed by a train last year said his wife was let down by health authorities that were meant to help her in her 'most desperate moments', as a hospital trust was found to be at fault over her death.

Deborah Yalcin, 51, of High Street, Bromley, left the John Radcliffe Hospital on the morning of December 3 2015 after she was detained overnight before a transfer to a safer hospital to undergo more mental health checks.

She fled to Didcot Parkway train station where she was then killed on the tracks by a freight train.

Speaking after a jury found Mrs Yalcin to have died by suicide to which neglect contributed, her husband Ahmet Yalcin, said yesterday's verdict ‘will not repair the damage done to the family.’ He said: “The woman in crisis on the night Deborah died was not the person my family and I knew Deborah to be. She was a highly intelligent and caring woman who dedicated her life to helping others and was devoted to our children.

“We hope the inquests findings will spur the trust to making effective changes to ensure no one else comes to harm.”

After a five-day inquest at Oxford Coroner's Court, the jury concluded there was a failure in the system to offer one to one care after Mrs Yalcin had been assessed.

It was ruled that this contributed to her death and amounted to neglect.

The jury also said that not enough detail was provided to the Oxford University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust staff nurses, who failed to read Mrs Yalcin's notes in detail.

The court heard how on December 2 Mrs Yalcin told her husband she was just 'going for a drive' and booked into the Ramada Hotel in Wheatley where police found her in the bath with a razor blade in her hand.

She was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital where she was detained under the Mental Health Act.

Dr Daniel Maughan, who was one of the assessors, told the court: "With Debbie in this situation she presented herself as being actively psychotic and was a high risk to herself and others.

"There was certainly a significant risk and I conveyed that to the nurses and my concerns for her wellbeing."

But as Mrs Yalcin and her husband waited for a bed to become available in a safer hospital she fled the John Radcliffe while the nurse overlooking her care was preoccupied with another patient.

She travelled to Didcot parkway train station where 'train spotter', Tim Collier, said he saw her 'run with purpose' at an oncoming train.

Jeremy Chipperfield, assistant coroner for Oxfordshire said he was ‘so sorry’ for their loss.

OUH collaborates with Oxford Health NHS Trust in providing mental health assessments and services, with both trusts saying lessons have been learned from the tragic case.

A statement on behalf of both trusts said: “Our sympathies go out to the family of Deborah and we continue to offer our sincere condolences at this time.

“Following this tragic event Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust have taken steps to improve the systems in place for the care of people who go to A&E with mental health issues, including changes to the way we support and supervise people and continue to do so.”