OXFORD City have survived liquidation by paying off an outstanding tax bill at the "last-minute."

The club had been summoned to the High Court this morning faced with a winding up order which could have seen them go out of business.

A club spokesman told the Oxford Mail: "We had an outstanding HMRC payment that the club has now paid off.

"It was paid off at the last minute, and the day before the winding up order and there was no way of cancelling the hearing."

He added that the High Court would open and close later this afternoon with no further action following the payment.

The club also confirmed it was in talks with "three or four" potential investors.

Going into liquidation would have meant the club would have had to stop employing people – which in its case would include players, staff and the manager.

The High Court summons comes less than four months after former club director Thomas Guerriero was jailed for more than 12 years for masterminding a $6.6m investment fraud through his company which owned a 49 per cent stake in the Marsh Lane-based club.

Guerriero resigned from his role at the club in December following his arrest and while the club said it had not put any money into the Florida businessman's venture it admitted it would lose a sponsorship source as a result.

In a bad year for the club and everyone involved with it, voluntary managing director Colin Taylor was found hanged at the Marsh Lane ground in July.

Floral tributes to Mr Taylor, who had served the club for more than 20 years, adorned the stand behind the goal in what was a sombre start to the season.

The team's form on the pitch has also been cause for concern as they have picked up just one point in their last seven games in the Vanarama National League South.

Rugby club London Welsh, who played their home games at the Kassam Stadium for three seasons until 2015, are also due at the High Court in London faced a winding up order this morning.

The club avoided liquidation in April but have reportedly struggled to pay players' wages and have yet to replace head coach Rowland Phillips who left in July.