MOTORBIKE racer, garage owner and former publican Richard Madsen-Mygdal has died, aged 88.

Mr Madsen-Mygdal was born in Cumnor on September 6, 1927, and was a boarder at Magdalen College School, in Cowley Place, from the age of eight until he was 15.

He began working for himself when he started a haulage business in the village in the 1950s, setting up R Mygdal Ltd where Cumnor Garage now stands in Appleton Road.

His love for motorcycles started in the same decade when he bought his first Vincent Rapide in 1951 and then a Black Shadow in 1952, which he used for everyday transport.

Mr Madsen-Mygdal, who was known as Dick, met his wife, Stella (nee Gee), at a dance in 1950.

The newlyweds travelled on his 1,000cc Vincent V twin motorcycle to the Isle of Man for the 1953 Clubman’s TT race. He was in the lead before he crashed at Brandywell on the mountain section, 1,300 feet above sea level, fracturing his skull.

On his 80th birthday, Mr Madsen-Mygdal was presented with an oil painting of his memorable ride by Oxford artist, David Langford.

Although Mr Madsen-Mygdal never competed in any more TT races, he raced on mainland circuits including Silverstone and Thruxton.

His only child, Dave, was born on March 3, 1956.

The family moved to North Leigh in 1962 when Mr Madsen-Mygdal became the landlord of the Harcourt Arms. Mr Madsen-Mygdal returned to Cumnor in 1983 with his wife after the family closed the pub and his son moved in 1985 to the Isle of Man. Mr Madsen-Mygdal remained involved with the TT Riders’ Association through his son, who made history by becoming the first rider to complete 100 TT races.

His wife Stella passed away in April 2013 followed by his grandson, Mark Madsen-Mygdal, who was killed in July 2013, during the Southern 100 race. He was going for the lead and was two corners away from finishing when it is believed that a bike behind him crashed and hit him.

Dave Madsen-Mygdal, 59, who is president of the TT Riders’ Association, called his father “one hell of a character”.

Mr Madsen-Mygdal died from a heart condition on December 9 and his funeral was held at the new crematorium near Wantage on December 17. He is survived by his son , grandsons William Spooner, 33, and Paul Madsen-Mygdal, 30, and great grandson Conor Madsen-Mygdal, five.