AN accident and emergency nurse raped two unconscious women at Oxford's John Radcliffe Hospital.

Andrew Hutchinson appeared at Oxford Crown Court this morning facing 23 sexual offences counts that also including abusing women whilst he worked as a volunteer in the medical tent of the Wilderness Festival in 2013 and spying on women and girls at the White Horse Leisure Centre.

Hutchinson was caught after filming himself abusing some of his victims.

His case had not been able to be reported until today, when Judge Zoe Smith lifted restrictions after an application by the Oxford Mail.

Hutchinson, of Garford, near Abingdon, admitted all 27 counts against him.

There are 10 women and girls police have identified and 19 they have not.

Hutchinson admitted raping an 18-year-old women at the JR's A&E department where he worked as a staff nurse on October 2011. He also admitted with forcing her to engage in sexual activity without consent, another serious assault and voyeurism.

He also admitted at the JR of raping a 35-year-old woman in February 2012, voyeurism of a 22-year-old woman the following month and outraging public decency involving an as-yet identified woman in July 2012.

Hutchinson also admitted of sexually assaulting two women in the medical tent of the Wilderness Festival in August 2013.

In total Hutchinson admitted 12 counts of voyeurism, mostly at the White Horse Leisure Centre in Abingdon, against 23 women and girls, including a 10-year-old, between January 2013 and December last year.

Our top stories


He has five counts of making indecent images of children prior to November 2013, one count of theft of a nasopharyngoscope from the John Radcliffe in November 2013 and one of theft/possession of Ketamine, a class B drug, on December 4 last year.

Hutchinson abused the women in the JR A&E department just yards from other patients. He filmed his attacks.

However, none of his victims knew they had been attacked.

Hutchinson was only arrested when police launched an operation to catch a man suspected of secretly filming women and girls at the leisure centre.

He was arrested as he left the leisure centre in November 2013 on suspicion of voyeurism and released on bail. It was then detectives uncovered his horrific crimes at the hospital, Wilderness and elsewhere after disclosing footage on a mobile phone, computer equipment, a memory stick and a camera.

Officers then faced the difficult process of trying to identify the victims and break the news they had been attacked.

A police spokesman added: "The victims in the images of sex offences had been unaware that offences were committed against them because they were unconscious at the time the offence took place.

"The victims of the voyeurism offences, apart from those who had made reports to police, had been unaware that they were being recorded or filmed."

Police said they have contacted all victims who could be identified.

Det Chf Insp Mark Johns said: "I am pleased that Hutchinson has pleaded guilty to his offences and spared his victims having to endure a trial to receive justice.

“This has been a complicated and unusual case as the victims of his sex offences were not aware that offences took place because they were not conscious. Thames Valley Police sent specially trained officers to personally speak to all the victims, who showed great courage when informed with such distressing news.

“I have no doubt that Hutchinson would have continued to offend had he not been arrested.

“I would like to reassure members of the public in Oxfordshire that all the victims which can be identified from images have been contacted by Thames Valley Police. Should anyone wish to speak to our officers about their concerns, please do contact 101 quoting Operation Bream.”

Oxford University Hospitals Trust director of workforce Mark Power said: “I can confirm that in November 2013 the Trust was informed by Thames Valley Police of the arrest of a male nurse, who at the time was employed at our John Radcliffe Hospital.  Subsequently, Thames Valley Police have been conducting an extensive investigation and we have done everything possible to support this process. Since his arrest, the individual has not worked in any part of the Trust and is no longer an employee of ours.

“Our thoughts today are with the victims, whose trust was so betrayed in our Hospital and elsewhere.  We have been shocked and horrified by the behaviour of the individual, who so badly let down both the patients he was entrusted to care for and his fellow colleagues, and who totally failed in his professional duties and responsibilities as a nurse.

“I would wish to reassure members of the public that the welfare and safety of our patients is always our first priority."

Hutchinson, who was remanded in custody, will be sentenced on April 27.