FIREFIGHTERS were called to Oxford’s Redbridge recycling centre yesterday after a skip caught fire.

The alarm was raised at 7.40am and fire crews remained on the scene in Old Abingdon Road tackling the blaze for about an hour.

The fire started in the skip, which is used for depositing metal for recycling.

It is not known exactly how the fire started but it is not being treated as arson.

Dean Jenkins, the manager of the recycling centre, said: “We had a delayed opening.

“We don’t know what caused it yet.

“We suspect someone put a small camping gas cylinder into the metal skip and it got punctured.”

No-one was injured in the fire.