RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford's run ended by Oldham

Callum Mulkeen was among Oxford's scorers

Callum Mulkeen was among Oxford's scorers

First published in Rugby League

OXFORD RL’s two-match unbeaten run in Kingstone Press Championship 1 came to an end at Oldham, who ran out 48-28 winners at the Whitebank Stadium.

The home side scored twice in the first ten minutes, first through Michael Ward, after good work by former Oxford player Brett Robinson, and Danny Whitmore. Lewis Palfrey converted both.

Oxford captain Alex Thompson got his side back into the game with a try on 14 minutes when the home side kicked out on the full and the visitors built up good field position.

On the last tackle option, Thompson burrowed his way over, Jimmy Rowland adding the extras.

Ward and Callum Mulkeen exchanged converted tries before Danny Langtree went over for Oldham.

Palfrey converted before adding another goal on the stroke of half-time to give the home side a 26-12 lead.

Oxford needed a fast second-half start but kicked out on the full straight from the kick-off and shortly afterwards were made to pay when a kick on the last play hit Oxford’s Marcus Brooker and fell kindly for George Tyson to touch down. Palfrey converted.

Worse was to come when Langtree grabbed his second try of the match, Palfrey once again adding the extras for 38-12. Thompson’s second try, converted by Rowland, got Oxford back into the match, but Oldham responded with tries from Mo Agoro and David Cookson.

Palfrey converted Agoro’s try to leave the score at 48-18.

Oxford made the score respectable with tries from Marcus Brooker and Rory Sharratt, Rowland adding another goal, but it was too late for a losing bonus point.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree